“You’re safer in the race car than you are in cars going to and from the track.”
~ Mario Andretti
2010 F1 Abu Dhabi GP:
For 2010, the annual JPMorgan F1 Crew crew decided to return to the Arabian Peninsula … but this time, for the season-ending Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi. We could not have made a better choice … as the 2010 Drivers’ World Championship title was still up for grabs … between FIVE drivers!
Starting with the circuit, the Yas Marina complex is by far the most impressive racing facility I have ever seen. It is absolutely magnificent. Although there have been a number of new circuits added over the past few years (i.e. China, Korea, etc.), none even come close to Yas Marina. Everything from the infrastructure, to the grandstands, the stunning on-site hotel, and the circuit layout itself, are just spot on. The one thing that would need to be tweaked is to make some modifications to the circuit in order to increase passing opportunities … something Fernando Alonso was in desperate need for this year !
As for the race itself … certainly a crazy accident at the start as Vitantonio Liuzzi nearly took off Michael Schumacher’s head as his car literally ended up on top of Michael’s head! The rest of the race can be summarized by …
– Horrid pit strategy by Ferrari for Alonso
– Great drive by Sebastian Vettel
– Solid performance by the two McLarens
– Sad ending for Mark Webber
– BRILLIANT drive by Vitaly Petrov
– STUNNING arrogance by Alonso … expecting Petrov to move over for him ! (If you’re so good & a 2-time World Champion, then PASS!)
– More pathetic arrogance by Alonso as he swerved into Petrov at the finish to give him a message.
– Great move by Petrov to bump Alonso right back!